At present, data has become the new currency in the business world. With the increased data churning, the adoption of data modeling tools has also increased. Every organization is adopting data-driven decision making in their business operations. Every action online generates data, from browsing through google, scrolling down Instagram feed, to purchasing groceries online, and this data is beneficial for businesses in understanding user patterns. These data points are collected by organizations and are stored in a database for using them to generate insights that are helpful to make smarter business decisions.
The data sets collected by organizations are converted into data models. Data modeling is the process of creating data models for the collected data sets in order to store them in databases. Conceptually, data modeling represents the data objectives, the connection between various data objectives, and the rules. Data modeling is successfully executed with the help of data modeling tools.
Data modeling tools help data science professionals visually present the databases in graphs and diagrams. This process allows business owners and stakeholders to understand the business processes and clarify business needs and requirements.
21 Best Data Modeling Tools
This article lists 21 best data modeling tools that every data enthusiast needs to know. So, let’s explore what these data modeling tools do.
Erwin Data Modeler is one of the best data modeling tools for creating logical, physical, and conceptual data models. It enables you to make an actual database from the physical model.
Features of Erwin Data Modeler
– Allows modeling of any data from anywhere
– Provides centralized model management and collaboration with business and technical user
– Utilizes enterprise data standards to drive data quality
– Powered with easy to use graphical environment
– Automated comparison of the model and database
Archi is one of the cost-effective data modeling tools for business analysts and modelers. It helps in analysis, description, and visualization of architecture across various business domains.
Features of Archi
-Allows you to instantly and intuitively create all ArchiMate elements in ArchiMate views
– Offers dynamic viewpoints that enable you to change the ArchiMate viewpoint at any time
– Showcases the selected model element and its relations with other model elements in radial-tree graphics
– You can create and edit your canvas
SqlDBM is one of the most popular data modeling tools that can easily design a database on any browser without any other database engine or application.
Features of SQL DBM
– Allows you to manage large and small databases and data models seamlessly
– Allows importing of an existing database schema
– Allows creating a physical model or ERD of your database
Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect is one of the famous and comprehensive data modeling tools for UML analysis and design tools for UML, SysML, BPMN, and many other technologies. It is a multi-user, Windows OS-based, graphical tool that enables professionals to build robust and maintainable software.
Features of Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect
– Enables effective project management
– Offers a high-performance model repository
– Provides an end-to-end traceability
Toad Data Modeler is a data modeling tool that allows you to maximize productivity using extensive automation, intuitive workflows, and built-in expertise. It manages code changes and maintains the highest quality levels.
Features of Toad Data Modeler
– Allows quick access of critical data for in-place analysis and single-click export to an Excel instantly
– Capable of quickly identifying differences by comparing and syncing servers, data, and schemas
– Have powerful query tuning capabilities
– Capable of executing scripts and T-SQL snippets for numerous instances and servers
– Capable of automatically repeat processes like data and schema comparisons
– Offers free performance health checks benchmarked from the community
PgModeler is one of the popular free data modeling tools used for creating and editing database models with an intuitive interface. This open-source tool helps in making the most fundamental objects like a single column, and functions, and language.
Features of PgModeler
– Supports geospatial data types and translatable user interface
– Automated generation of column and constraints
– Utilizes a reverse engineering process to create a reliable model based upon the current database
– Offers full access to its source code and to the contents of any generated file
– Enables you to restore previous work in case of failure
– The validation feature automatically produces an error-free database model
– Capable of synchronizing both model and database using SQL scripts
Dezign is one of the few data modeling tools that allow you to visualize data structures while creating a new database. It understands your current database while meeting your data modeling needs.
Features of DeZign
– Offers an easy to use, robust data modeling tool
– Enables you to visually create Entity Relationship Diagram
– Capable of navigating large diagram with Pan and Zoom window
– Supports a wide range of data modeling techniques
GenMyModel is one of the robust data modeling tools in the market that supports ArchiMate (architecture modeling language) and BPMN (Business Process Model and Notation). It is powered by a centralized repository model that enables easy collaboration of models simultaneously.
Features of GenMyModel
– Enables you to combine the power of desktop modeling tools with database modeling tools online
– Has versioning and access right management
– Provides direct import or export of reports as PDF documents
ConceptDraw provides a wide range of business-specific add-ons for creating Infographics, diagrams, data visualization, and flowcharts for process models.
Features of ConceptDraw
– Offers robust and comprehensive drawing tools
– Aids in enhancing communication processes and presentation techniques
– Can use and track crucial business metrics with live object technology
Valentina Studio is one of the free data modeling tools available in the market. It helps in creating and administering MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite databases, and MariaDB. Valentina Studio enables you to add or remove groups and users, manage rights, see live logins, and run diagnostics.
Features of Valentina Studio
– Provides schema editing & diagramming
– Offers local Valentina forms to work with your data
– Allows to design, view, and print Valentina reports
– Enables to manage SQL queries
ER/Studio is one of the best data modeling tools in the industry. It is used to document critical data elements, objects, attributes, and interactions in data models. This tool enables you to describe conceptual and business processes that outline business goals.
Features of ER/Studio
– Enables you to implement a naming standards template to any model, attributes, and entities
– Enables you to set business-area specific glossary teams to reflect the corporate structure and bind it to data models
– Allows you to share models and data across various departments of the organization
Software Ideas Modeler is one of the top data modeling tools. This smart diagram software allows modeling with languages like UML, BPMN, SysML, ArchiMate, and wireframe support.
Features of Software Ideas Modeler
– Easy to use for creating diagrams and layouts
– Offers a user interface layout that is perfect for drawing mock-ups
– Enables you to draft your application forms and wireframes
Visible Analyst software is one of the popular data modeling tools. It allows you to design e-business applications, develop a data warehouse, or integrate legacy systems with new enterprise applications. Its data warehouse modeling tools make the data analytics process seamless.
Features of Visible Analyst
– Possesses robust modeling capabilities
– Allows you to generate schema for SQL and XML
– Provides reverse and forward database engineering
Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler by Oracle is one of the top data modeling tools of 2020. This tool helps in increasing productivity and simplifies various data modeling tasks.
Features of Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler
– Enables you to create and edit the relational, multi-dimensional, and data type models
– Powered by forward and reverse engineering capabilities
– Supports traditional and cloud environments
IBM InfoSphere Data Architect by IBM is yet another of the top data modeling tools of 2020. This data modeling tool simplifies and accelerates data integration design for business intelligence and statistics. It aids in aligning services, applications, data architectures, and processes.
Features of IBM InfoSphere Data Architect
– Offers rapid and easy development
– Helps you to understand data assets and improve efficiency by reducing time to market
– Allows team collaboration and integration
– Helps you to import or export custom mapping
– Automated analyzing of metadata for discovering the structure of heterogeneous data sources
– Allows you to manage source control through Microsoft Team Foundation Server (TFS)
DbSchema is one of the best SQL data modeling tools. It allows visual database designing & managing any SQL, NoSQL, or Cloud database. This tool allows you to design & interact with the database schema, create comprehensive documentation and reports, work offline, and synchronize the schema with the database.
Features of DbSchema
– Has interactive layouts
– Capable of relational data browsing
– Has a visual query builder
– Allows HTML5 documentation
DbWrench is a database design and synchronization tool that supports cross-platform and cross-database usage. It allows you to edit the databases directly in the diagram created by you.
Features of DbWrench
– Enables you to choose ER notations
– Allows you to generate an HTML document
– Powered by navigator window to work with a large diagram
– Allows you to effortlessly add columns
– Capable of generating update DDL SQL scripts with just one click
DTM Data Modeler is designed for database developers that support forward and reverse engineering. It enables you to function with logical and physical data models.
Features of DTM Data Modeler
– Offers known entity-relationship modeling notation
– Allows you to work with the DB2 database and Microsoft SQL Server database
– Supports IDAPI, ODBC, Oracle, or OLE DB interface
DbDesigner.net is one of the online data modeling tools developed for database schema design and data modeling. It allows you to create a database without wiring a single SQL code.
Features of DbDesigner.net
– Easy to use UI for Modeling
– Enables you to import an existing database or start from scratch
– Offers team collaboration & sharing of projects within your company
MagicDraw is the first comprehensive version of the data modeling tool designed for professional modeling. It’s capable of modern designing and clearing layout, setting desktop app apart from the rest.
Features of MagicDraw
– Constantly keeps adding new features based on the users’ feedback
– Learning is straightforward, and the learning period is short
– Powered by floating licenses that help you to save expenses significantly if you have multiple developers
Vertabelo is one of the database modeling tools online created for visual database designing. It allows you to design databases at a logical and physical level.
Features of Vertabelo
– Easy accessibility to database models anytime
– Allows you to import an existing database
– Enables you to share the model with three access levels- the owner, editor, or viewer
– Capable of automatically setting the diagram layout
There are several data modeling tools that can help you in seamless data processing. Above-listed is the 21 best data modeling tools in 2020 that can help in creating a physical model or ERD of your database so that you can instantly create tables and relationships.
If you wish to learn more about data modeling and other data-processing techniques or want to kick start your career in the Data Science domain, check our 6-months online Full Stack Data Science Program (FSDS), an industry recommended and validated course, with a curriculum aligned to SSC NASSCOM.