To get an idea of what science industries are in demand and the roles you can pursue in each one of them, we have compiled some of the highly competitive career options in science to help in finding the job for science students in 2021.
Colleges and universities dedicate a lot of attention to recruiting top science students in their effort to attract top faculty and improve the overall quality of education. However, in doing so, they sometimes neglect to discuss the future career options in science, overlooking the fact that science is a dynamic and rapidly changing field. Although the major of chemistry, biology, and physics is often the highest-ranked science major, these professions all have the potential for multiple science career options, and they shouldn’t be avoided in the name of a “safe” major.
1. Bio-medical engineer: The biomedical engineering field is considered among the highest-paying career options in science and the fastest-growing field in the science industry. Bio-medical engineers use medical sciences and engineering processes to develop medical devices and equipment for health care practitioners.
The biomedical engineering field has outpaced the industry average by 23.7 percent over the past five years, and experts predict that it will grow at a 17.2 percent rate by 2022.
An approximate salary that Bio-medical engineers can make in India ranges from 3 lakhs p.a. to 4 lakhs p.a. at a fresher level. Experienced professionals can take home quite a higher package.
2. Chemical engineer: Chemical engineers and biochemists specialize in analyzing, manufacturing, and maintaining chemical processes. For example, biochemists research the structure and chemical properties of living organisms and small molecules.
Chemical engineering is one of the best career options after 10th in the Science stream.
The science and engineering disciplines are the most well-paid STEM careers in India, with many workers earning six-figure salaries. Also, chemical engineers typically earn an average salary of 5 lakhs p.a. to 6 lakhs p.a.
3. Bioinformatics Engineer: Bioinformatics engineers are involved in analyzing, assembling, and interpreting the large data sets generated by modern genetic, environmental, and biomedical studies. For example, bioinformatics engineers in the field of genomics are often responsible for assembling large datasets generated by human genomics, proteomics, and other types of gene research.
The annual salary for a bioinformatics engineer ranges from 7 lakhs p.a. to 12 lakhs p.a.
4. Geologist: Geologists study minerals and rocks to study their properties. This type of science is especially popular among those interested in Earth science and earth scientists in general.
One of the best science graduate jobs where can work in private companies or consulting firms after getting graduated from reputed universities such as IIT Gandhinagar, Palanpur, or Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Jaipur.
The average salary of an employee as a geologist is 24 lakhs p.a.
5. Biochemist: Biochemists research the structure and function of the cells and other biological organisms within the human body and develop new drugs and therapies. Biochemists who work in government or industry developments or evaluate medications and bioengineered products to treat or prevent diseases.
Biochemistry is one of the most chosen science stream career options by the students as the requirement for biochemists has always been high in India.
The biochemist salary typically ranges from 3 lakhs to 4lakhs p.a. Most biochemists who work in the pharmaceutical industry earn six-figure salaries.
6. Artificial intelligence and Machine learning: As per global tech giant Intel’s latest predictions in the future job market, the best job for science students for the future is AI and Machine learning. AI has been ranked as the number one skillset for the future workforce and the best field in science, with respondents identifying it as the number one trend, ahead of Industry 4.0, Robotics, the Internet of Things, and quantum computing.
With the advent of machine learning and artificial intelligence in everyday life, it will impact every sector, be it business or personal.
An approximate salary that a professional of AI or Machine learning can make in India ranges from 7 lakhs to 9 lakhs p.a. at a fresher level. Experienced professionals can earn up to approximately 16 lakhs to 18 lakhs p.a.
7. Blockchain Developer: The demand for blockchain developers in science stream jobs is rising, and with the government’s push for the same in various sectors, blockchain development would be high on the list of best career scope in science stream in 2021.
In response to a question about the Top 10 Most Admired Careers in 2021, blockchain developer has emerged as the top choice for 21 percent of the respondents.
The average salary of a Blockchain developer in India ranges from 8 lakhs to 50 lakhs p.a. depending upon the skillsets, level of experience, and level of tasks performed.
8. Data science: Data science is a field that uses algorithms, processes, scientific methods to study and gather different types of data.
The demand for Data Scientists as a career opportunity in science in India is projected to grow at the rate of 11 percent to reach 19.1 million in 2021.
The average salary of a Data scientist ranges from 5 lakhs to 6 lakhs p.a.
The above list provides some of the best career options in science to pursue. This list is not exhaustive as there are many other career options in science for science students. Thus a student should focus on his interests and skills as there is a huge scope for science students soon.
If you are interested in building your career in different fields do check out various courses by UNext.